The company was founded in 1910 when two young entrepreneurs, S. Duncan Black and Alonzo G. Decker, opened a small store in Baltimore. Since that day, the company has grown at a level no one could have imagined. 1916 the company started to manufacture tools.
The ability to sell and provide services allowed the company to create a reliable customer base. 1918 The first customer service centers were opened in Boston and New York. B&D also organized seminars to train distributors on how to use and sell tools; presentation presenters went on tours across the country.